For thirty years, San Diego Shoulder Institute has presented an exceptional course in shoulder education. Our reputation validates that this is the best shoulder course in the world. We anticipate this year to be our best yet. The purpose of this intense, four-day course is to equip physicians with strategies to provide the highest level of analytical, diagnostic, and treatment practice modalities specific to shoulder arthroscopy, arthroplasty, fracture management, and complex shoulder care. Bringing together expert faculty, course content focuses on known best practice, latest technological advances, and evidenced based research related to shoulder care. Physicians will benefit directly from the following formats of educational interaction:
- Review assessment and diagnostic strategies, specific surgical techniques, treatment algorithms, prevention of complications, and recommendations to maximize physician practice and patient outcomes
Panel Discussions: Learn from the experts during dynamic case study presentations and discussions.
Break Out SessionsCased-Based Discussions:
- Present your most complex case to our panel of experts and glean best practices strategies based on their expertise.
Evaluation and Rehabilitation of the Throwing Shoulder: Visit PETCO Park! Join Heinz Hoenecke, Thomas Noonan (Head Physicians), Bud Black (Manager), Todd Hutcheson (Head Trainer), and Rick Stauffer (Head Physical Therapist) of the Padres and Colorado Rockies Baseball Clubs. The session includes didactic lecture, physical exam of the throwing shoulder, physical therapy evaluation and rehabilitation, demonstration of throwing program progression, review of proper throwing mechanics to prevent shoulder injuries, and an on the field demonstration by Padres Baseball players.
Ultrasound Workshop: This session is a focused, hands-on approach to useful techniques on maximizing ultrasound to visualize soft tissue anatomy of the shoulder. The 13 Point Shoulder Ultrasound Exam, patient positioning, ultrasound settings, guided injections, and suprascapular nerve blocks are addressed using latest equipment and live models. Appropriate for all skill levels.
Shoulder Model Arthroscopy Rotator Cuff Allograft Workshop: Experience Dr. Snyder's cutting edge workshop designed specifically for those interested in learning a simple, reproducible, and cost-effective technique to perform an arthroscopic allograft rotator cuff reconstruction. Practice on the newly released portable arthroscopic camera system: a web-cam that plugs into your own laptop giving you the ability to scope and record surgery! You will be required to bring your own current laptop (preferably a MAC) to this session. Complimentary instructional CD included with registration.
Rehabilitation Break-out session: This in depth, expanded session reviews the functional assessment of the shoulder patient, and facilitates discussion of specific rehabilitation techniques for the shoulder in a small group setting.
Roundtable Discussions: These focused small interactive roundtable discussion groups , lead by key leaders in the shoulder industry, provide detailed discussion and tips for improving practice. Bring your specific questions for our experts to address. An interactive discussion and audience participation areof tantamount importance.
- Instability Roundtable Discussion: This session focuses on instability with an emphasis onanterior pathology. Case-based examples of decision making, supplemented with "pearls" onthe physical examination, diagnostic testing, and surgical options will be presented. Treatmentalgorithms for bone loss, first-time dislocation, revision surgery, and generalized ligamentouslaxity will be analyzed.
- Reverse Total Shoulder Roundtable Discussion: With successful experiences over time, theexpanding indications for the reverse shoulder arthroplasty will be reviewed. Practicalapproaches from CTA, acute fractures, late malunions, nonunions, and prosthesis revision areavailable for case discussion.
Laboratories/Workshops: Receive individualized instruction in a mock surgical environment.Customize your learning experience based on identified educational goals. Benefit from our expertfaculty who will provide specific feedback to help improve your specific practice.
- New Last Year/ Enhanced this year! Cadaver Total Shoulder Small-Group Laboratory:This dynamic lab features world recognized experts in total shoulder replacement/reverse totalshoulder. A brief lecture covering technique essentials is followed by individualized instruction
- Modified and Improved! Arthroscopy Skills Session: Begin this informative session with adidactic presentation of essential tips and pearls from our experts. Then break out into yourselected session to customize your learning goals in bankart or scope hands-on skills trainingusing realistic shoulder models.
- Shoulder Arthroplasty and Fracture Fixation Workshop: Held Wednesday evening, this sessiondemonstrates current techniques to treat shoulder arthritis and trauma. Participants are exposedto multiple equipment options to practice arthroplasty and fracture fixation techniques.
- Cadaver Arthroscopy Laboratory: This session allows participants to actively perform anarthroscopy procedure on a cadaver specimen. Expert faculty will guide students in essentialdiagnostic and operative techniques. Sessions are customized based on individualized learninggoals and current skill level.
- Latarjet Demonstration: Receive individualized instruction from our expert faculty in thisinnovative procedure
- Luncheon Workshop Series:• Arthroscopy Workshop: Held Thursday, attendees will select specific equipment to viewlatest advances in shoulder arthroscopy.
- Arthroplasty Workshop: Held Friday, attendees will select specific equipment to reviewcurrent technological advances and surgical techniques in shoulder arthroplasty.